At the beginning of each National Specialty catalog there is a page dedicated to the Honorary Members of the NCA. In many cases, the names are quickly perused without any knowledge of who they are. The legacy of these members should not be lost in time; thus begins a series of articles on our Honorary Members.
Gerald bred Newfoundlands for many years and was responsible for the revival of the breed in Finland. He was known for his extraordinary knowledge of the breed, and Kitty Drury, NCA president from often said, “He had forgotten more than I would ever know about the Newfoundland.” He knew generations and generations of dogs and bred almost every color of Newfoundland, including brown and white. For years, he bred the finest dogs on the continent and many of the Finnish dogs are in the background of dogs in the Netherlands, England, Scandinavia, and Germany.
In addition, he was one of the founders of the Finnish Kennel Club and the Finnish Newfoundland Association. He served as the first president 1952 – 1968) of this association for 16 years as well as a breeding inspector for over 20 years (1952-1975). He was a judge of Newfoundlands but only judged them in Finland.
Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Hartz
Cliff and his wife, Theodora, better known as Teddy, began in the Newfoundland breed in 1935. They began breeding Newfoundlands under the Oquaga name in 1940. The name came from a nearby lake, Oquaga, near Windsor, New York. Oquaga was an Indian word meaning Huckleberry land. Their foundation bitch was Canadian Ch. Laurel’s Brae’s Gale. She was purchased in whelp to her sire, Ch. Shelton Sea Diver. Oquaga bred numerous champions including numerous group placers and well-known group winner, Ch. Oquaga Sea Pirate. The legacy of the Oquaga Newfs can be traced in the pedigrees of Dryad’s Goliath of Gath, ROM; Ch. Oquaga’s Molly Nine Mile, Ch. Dryad’s Sea Rover, ROM; and International Ch. Newton, ROM.
Mrs. Hilda Madsen
Hilda began breeding Newfoundlands in 1960 under the Hilvig prefix. Her foundation stock was a combination of Little Bear and Edenglen, and one of her first litter’s produced the lovely bitch, Ch. Hilvig’s Corsage, ROM. Corsage was indeed special, and was Best of Opposite Sex and winner of the Brood Bitch class under noted breeder judge and past NCA President, Bea Godsol at the 1968 National Specialty. Hilvig stock can be traced through many of the pedigrees that stand today. Not only was Hilda a member of the NCA, but a charter member of New-Pen-Del Newfoundland Club, an honorary member of Great Lakes Newfoundland Club, and a charter member of Delaware Water Gap Kennel Club where she served on the Board of Directors.
In addition to her Newfoundland world, Hilda was a noted artist, particularly known for her portraits and animal studies. She was a graduate of the Sorbonne Art Museum of Paris. She was also known for her marvelous hooked rugs and had a keen interest in photography. She was always willing to share her talents and artworks, and those fortunate enough to possess a piece of her work know what a gifted lady she was.
Mrs. Power, Elizabeth Loring Power, brought back the Newfoundland to this country and was the owner of Waseeka Kennel in Ashland, Massachusetts. s. Mrs. Power fell in love with the Newfoundland breed in the early 1920s. She visited numerous Newfoundland breeders in England visit and telegraphed her father saying, “Please build kennel for Newfoundlands.” When she returned to the newly-built kennel, she brought home Harlingen Viking Waseeka, Harlingen Jess, Harlingen Neptune of Waseeka, and Harlingen Vesta. She also brought Seagrave Belle, a Landseer. The four Harlingen Newfoundlands were the sons and daughters of Ch. Siki and Queen of Hearts, and they are the basis for all Newfoundlands in this country today.
Among Elizabeth’s most famous dogs were Ch. Waseeka’s Wayfarer, Ch. Mark Anthony of Waseeka, and another import, Ch. Seafarer, who won seven Bests in Show, the first Newfoundland to do so.
Elizabeth was a founding member of the NCA in 1930 and served as secretary and then president of the club. In addition, she was one of the judges at the first Newfoundland Specialty, judging dogs and Best of Breed. It was always a privilege to show to her. Elizabeth had a gift of knowing what to breed to what. Her legacy for breeding not only benefited the Newfoundland but Corgis, English Setters, and horses, all under the Waseeka prefix. Today the revitalization of the Newfoundland in America is due to the breeding foundation laid by Elizabeth Power.
Emil Burkhard – Switzerland
At the conclusion of World War I, the Newfoundland was almost extinct in Switzerland and a sense of desperation to bring back the breed created a poorly designed breeding program that did not concentrate on the best possible imports or bloodlines. Professor Emil Burkhard and a handful of Newfoundland breeders set out to establish a club to protect and promote the Newfoundland as it was re-introduced to Switzerland. They founded the Schweizerischer Newfundlander Klub in 1925 and Professor Burkhard served as the first president. Professor Burkhard encouraged the relationship with both the German and Dutch Clubs to expand the gene pool in Switzerland and offset the extensive in-breeding that was occurring in Switzerland. Their goal was health as well as type. This initiative is credited with saving what is known as the Toggenburg Strain which in turn was exported to England to expand their gene pool. During this re-vitalization period rules were established to control the use of stud dogs and brood bitches. This strategy lead by Professor Burkhard re-established a successful breeding program for Newfoundlands in Switzerland.
Bill and Helena Linn – United States
Bill and Helena Linn founded Edenglen Kennels in 1960 along the shores of Lake Seneca, New York. It was a Newfie wonderland of streams, lakes and waterfalls. The cornerstone for the Linn’s breeding program began with two foundation bitches from Kitty Drury, CH Dryad’s Christine of Glenora and CH Dryad’s Nancy of Glenora. Christine was the dam of two time National Specialty winner, CH Edenglen’s Banner while Nancy was the dam of CH Edenglen’s Beau Geste, an influential sire with twenty-five champion get. Edenglen type breeding was present from the beginning of their program.
When it came to showing, Bill and Helena did not participate often in this venue, instead their truly great show dogs were owned and shown by others. CH Edenglen’s Oscar, CH Edenglen’s Sovereign of the Sea, CH Edenglen’s Becky, CH Edenglen’s Falstaff, CH Edenglen’s Lady Rebecca, CH Edenglen’s Banner, and CH Edenglen’s Heidi Bear to name but a few. Bill often credited Helena with the success of their breeding program and Helena would just smile when asked how she did it.
Perhaps the most vivid picture of the past from Edenglen is to picture a pool under a waterfall where each spring fish would spawn. Nancy and Chrissy arrived at 8 weeks and it was the time of year when the fish were spawning and those two girls were intrigued with the activity. The following year they got it down and became fish catchers extraordinaire. They would swim in the pool, driving the fish to shallow water to make their catch. As the years passed, the tradition continued and Nancy and Chrissy would share their catch with any puppies and at other times simply place their catch on the shoreline or entice the other Newfs to join and learn. In the end, generations of Edenglen Newfs followed this tradition of swimming and fishing, what a memory Chrissy and Nancy gave to the Bill and Helena and their Edenglen Newfoundlands.
Mrs. Johann Pieterse - Netherlands
Mrs. Johann (Jetske) Pietserse and her husband were among the founders of the Nederlandse Newfondlander Club (founded 1918). Mr. Pieterse served as President and/or Secretary of this club for 41 years while his wife served as secretary for 32 years. Together the time they devoted to both the Newfoundland and the Nederlandse Club was extraordinary-73 years! The Pieterse’s are credited with the high standard of conformity in the Newfoundland in the Netherlands. They followed a plan of breeding systematically to type and soundness without involving the fashion of the moment. Both went on to become popular judges of the Newfoundland. As an answer to a curiosity question, the silver demi-tasse spoons bearing a Newfoundland head which were formerly an award offered by the NCA originated within the Pieterse’s club.
Fritz Rathman – Germany
The Newfoundland Club of the Continent was established in Germany in 1893. As political turmoil in the continent grew, the Newfoundland Club as were all canine organizations were forced to change by the government in 1933. The reorganization created six geographical divisions within the country and Herr Fritz Rathman served as president of the Berlin Landesgruppe (division). The goal of Herr Rathman was to keep the standard and Newfoundland alive during this turbulent time. The Berlin division kept to their standard, recognizing three types- the heavy Newfoundland of middle size, the higher -legged dog and the typey smaller dog. In all three they focused on coat, a dark eye, strong, well-boned, well-placed tail and to a broad chest.
Herr Rathman in letters said that, “The breed, like the people of Germany, has suffered considerably from the effects of the war. Berlin in particular is having a hard time re-establishing the Newfoundland to his rightful place because of the restrictions to travel to and from the city. However, the shows are still well supported and there is much hope for the future.”
Mrs. Charles Roberts
Miss May van Oppen of Harlingen Kennels, England married Charles Roberts and together they formed a legacy of devotion to the Newfoundland. In fact, their daughter, Mrs. Alice Kempster judged Newfoundlands at Crufts in 1985 and The Newfoundland’s Club Centenary Championship Show in 1986.
Mrs. Roberts served the Newfoundland Club in England as secretary, treasurer and president; however her outstanding legacy was the Harlingen Newfoundlands that she bred. She bred both landseers and blacks and many would contribute to the heritage of the Newfoundland throughout the world. One of her bitches, Harlingen Renata was the first Newfoundland exported to Australia and when bred to fellow import, Sea Bosun of Verduron, this pair became the foundation of the breed in Australia.
Moreover, in 1949 a circle closed when Harlingen Waseeka’s Black Gold , in whelp to Waseeka’s Dauntless was sent as a gift from the Newfoundland Club of America to Mrs. Roberts. You see Black Gold’s breeder was Mrs. Davieson Power, a fellow Honorary NCA member, who imported Ch Siki sired stock from the Harlingen Kennels in the late 20s. Now as World War II ended, the Newfoundland breed was almost non-existent in England thanks to the effects of the war. Yet Mrs. Roberts befriended Mrs. Power during the war and their common love for the Newfoundland lead to the return of the Siki bloodlines to England. It is often said what goes round, comes round and it certainly was demonstrated in the alliance between English and American breeders, especially Mrs. Power and Mrs. Roberts.
Mrs. Kitty Drury
Kitty joined the NCA in 1932 and was an active member until her death in 1988. Kitty married Maynard Drury in 1940 and in 1943 they established Dryad Kennels, named for a lovely grove of trees near their Long Island home. Their foundation stock came from Elizabeth Power of Waseeka Kennels. Over the next thirty years they bred over fifty Dryad champions including three Best in Show winners . One renowned Best in Show winner was a bitch named CH Dryad’s Coastwise Showboat, Chloe. Chloe not only won five Best in Shows and a group II at the Garden but she never defeated another Newfoundland to finish her Championship, instead she won three Group I’s. Today a Newfoundland is hard pressed not to have Dryad stock in their heritage.
As NCA members both Kitty and Maynard served as President, as the NCA delegate to the AKC and were breeder judges. Kitty served as President for six years and under her leadership the 2nd edition of This is the Newfoundland was released by the NCA. Following the untimely death of her husband in 1967, Kitty continued to be an active and valuable member of the Newfoundland community. She was not only a breeder judge but also a judge of four of the groups in the AKC and Best In Show. She judged often at American and Canadian specialties as well as many foreign specialties in Finland, England, Germany and Denmark. Her judging expertise was not limited to Newfoundlands and she judged specialties in Bernese, St. Bernards, Belgian Tervurens, Irish Settters, Golden Retrievers and Dobermans to name but a few.
Mrs. Bea Godsol
Bea and her husband, Major Godsol established Coastwise Kennels with their foundation stock coming from Elizabeth Power of Waseeka Kennels. During the 30s and 40s Coastwise was at its pinnacle in the show world. During this time CH Mark Anthony of Waseeka, CDX broke the barrier in the working group on the west coast with a Group I, while CH Coastwise Denobie’s Old Salt became the second Newfoundland and first Landseer to earn a Best in Show. In addition, CH Dryad’s Coastwise Showboat was Best of Opposite at two National Specialties and on her way to five Best in Show wins. Mrs. Godsol not only participated in the conformation world but was a pioneer in the obedience world for Newfs. She was the trainer and handler of the first CD and CDX for our breed, CH Mark Antony of Waseeka, CDX.
Moreover, Mrs. Godsol gave back to the breed by her commitment to the NCA. She joined the NCA in 1933 and became an active participant in the club. She spent many years on the Board of Directors including terms as President, Vice-president and Secretary. During her tenure she revived the Gazette column, established a breeder’s list, and the formulated the original specialty guide. In addition, she was not only a breeder and all-breed judge, but one of the select few who judged Best in Show at Westminster as did her husband, Major.